Forest Bathing in November
Date: Saturday, November 18, 2017
Where: Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, 125 Arborway, Boston, MA 02130
Register Here (via the Arnold Arboretum)
Did you know that spending time connecting with nature has been medically and scientifically proven to treat stress-related illnesses? Come experience the healing power of nature on a Guided Forest Therapy Walk. Discover the history of Shinrin-yoku, a cornerstone of preventative health care and healing developed in Japan. This term translates to Forest Bathing and it means to take in the forest atmosphere by slowing down, unplugging, relaxing and connecting. Forest Therapy is part of a global effort to attend to the stressful conditions of modern industrialized civilization. This guided walk will take you through a series of sensory opening invitations that support overall well-being as we notice our surroundings.
Experience the medicine of being in the Arboretum.
Suggested List of What To Bring:
- A small backpack so that your hands are free during the walk.
- A light camp chair or blanket to sit on that is easy to carry during the walk. We will be sitting for various intervals along our walk. These sit times will be 15-20 minutes long. The ground may be wet or cold and it’s important to be comfortable during these sit spots.
- Bug Repellent
- Comfortable Walking Shoes and Comfortable Clothes with an extra warm layer. Be prepared for cooler temperatures and possible rain. Unless there is a significant downpour or storm, we will still walk in the rain so plan accordingly.
- We will meet on the lawn in front of the Hunnewell Visitor Center at the Main Entrance.
- Free street parking is available along the Arborway right by the Main Entrance.
- The walk will start promptly at 8:00am so please allow yourself enough time to park and find your way into the Arboretum.
- The restrooms inside the Hunnewell Visitor Center do not open until 10AM but there are a pair of well-maintained port-a-johns located directly to your right when you enter the main entrance past the gate. There is no food allowed in the park so please plan accordingly.
- There are lots of great cafes and eateries in nearby JP Center (zip 02130) if you are looking for a breakfast or lunch spot before or after the walk. Fiore’s Cafe is located just a few blocks (.3 mile) from the Hunnewell Visitor Center at 55 South Street, Jamaica Plain, 02130. They open at 7am and offer coffee, tea, pastries, soups & sandwiches, with vegetarian and vegan options.